View Single Post
Old 10-02-2016, 10:40 PM   #136
rkn463

Re: 68 C50 Looongbed pickup build

A lot happened this weekend. First I had long ago scheduled off Friday to go to the Good Guys car show in Fort Worth. My boss and another manager from work were going to go as well. Unfortunately both had stuff (important stuff) come up at the last minute that kept them from going. I didn't think it would be much fun by myself so I decided to head down to the country to work on the truck. As usual I had a lot of stuff that had to happen first. A quick trip into Meridian to get my DD inspected, then to Brake & Clutch Supply in Waco to get the auxiliary pump for the "hydro boost" rebuilt. I put that in quotes because they actually called this a High-Power system, that is the AC-Delco version; that same year there was also another more popular version (senior moment, can't remember the manufacturer). Anyway, on the way back stopped in Clifton and tried to buy some good grill trim off a beat up dump truck that I've had my eye on for two years but the guy wasn't having any of it. Exactly what I expected and the reason I had waited two years to even try... I'll probably call him this week and see how much for the complete truck but there isn't much good on it.

Back to Meridian, got the tags for my DD, then over to Morgan Street Burgers for what might just be the best burger in Texas. Then back to it...

I got going on the truck Friday late afternoon. It's finally time to take the body off of the 68! First up remove the bed. As it turns out I only had six bolts holding the bed on. I recall now that was "temporary" . In the last picture you can see the spacer that I made to raise the bed up to the correct level. It was some 3x5 box tubing that I had laying around that turned out almost perfect. Anyway, that gets us through Friday afternoon, more to come but that will be after some sleep.

-Richard
Attached Images