View Single Post
Old 10-04-2016, 09:42 PM   #11
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Re: Ever see 15 inch P01 Wheel Covers on a Longhorn?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Tim View Post
No I haven't but I don't see many Canadian trucks either.

To me the wheelcover also appears to be stacked on a trim ring or some adapter. The edge deformation supports two pieces.

Since the truck at the trim level should have had, as standard, hub caps (and not appearing on the SPID) it would seem these were added post factory.

Has me wondering if in this case the truck was actually new or a demo, possibly even used. The latter two could be plausable causes for the change.
Okay, I know this to be factual because I knew the original owner of the truck and first saw it in 1975 at his Texaco Service Station. He was a frugal guy and went to a small town Saskatchewan dealer to order the truck because he saved 3/400 by doing that. The owner passed away 10/12 years ago and his wife inherited the truck and I am dealing with the son as his Mom is in a Nursing Home now. The son was in his teens in 1972 and went with his Dad when he ordered the truck and when he went with him to pick it up from the dealer when brand new those wheel covers were on the truck. I agree you would think because there is nothing on the spid it would have the dog dish hubcaps but it doesn't. So it was never a demo, used truck or changed hands. They could have been a GM Parts accessory and added at the dealer before delivery. Considering the number of 1972 trucks with 16.5 rims and the fact that most trucks with rims that size were used for work I could not see the aftermarket making a trim ring for the P01 to attach onto a sthey wouldn't have sold very many. As it sits now we don't have a solid answer on this and who knows maybe 6 months from now some thing will pop up and give us an answer. If I buy the truck ( he wants lots for it ) I can pull the wheel covers off and see exactly what is there.

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote