View Single Post
Old 10-13-2016, 03:16 PM   #250
ibrown50

Re: Ian's Tennessee Honey '64 Short Box Step-side - England

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65sub View Post
Nice work Ian. It's a good idea to replace all the pitted sheetmetal.
Thanks Dale and you're absolutely right, some of the pitted steel was down to 20% of the original thickness

I've cut out the pitted and holed sections from the fender support and replaced them with new metal, it would have been quicker to replace the whole thing with a new one but a new one would take 2 or 3 weeks to arrive in the UK.

Name:  Inner 0.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  49.4 KB

Name:  Inner 1.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  46.6 KB

When the welding was done I had the fender and "new" door, kindly donated by Rian, (thanks mate ) media blasted. I used Rix Media and Soda blasting, it's a local company owned and ran by a local drag racer, petrol head, car enthusiast and all round good guy. He did a fantastic job, I would recommend him to anyone.

Name:  Inner 2.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  48.6 KB

Once I got them back I coated the inside of the fender with stone guard. The fender still needs a lot of work but will straighten out OK.

Name:  Inner 4 (2).jpg
Views: 297
Size:  40.4 KB

The door has more holes than a beatles song (cryptic clue, answers on a postcard ). but is way more straight than the one that came with the truck and I have a repair section (courtesy of Ta2Don ) which will get rid of 95% of the holes.

Name:  Inner 4.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  39.0 KB

I'm not having as much fun as Rian but Hey-Ho