View Single Post
Old 10-26-2016, 11:58 AM   #309
Dazzoman

Re: What can be said about the 4-speed New Process NV833 overdrive manual transmissio

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatzie View Post
The 305E V6 took a different everything. That's no longer an issue since you've swapped in a 292 I6.

The post 1964 Inline 6 used the standard Chevy bellhousing pattern. The 1966 Chevy clutch pedal linkage will push the fork on the A833 bellhousing just like the fork on the old SM420 bellhousing.

The MY6 NP440/A833 has the same 10 spline input shaft dimensions as the SM465 & SM420. You have a good flywheel fitted on the 292 so get a few thousandths faced off it to clean off any thermal damage and buy a complete new Sachs clutch kit (pilot bushing, throwout bearing, friction disc, and pressure plate) so you don't have to mess with it again.

Driveshafts are really no big deal. Get a yoke for the A833 and mate it with a shaft that's the right length. If the Yoke and the driveshaft have different size Universal Joint cups you can buy hybrid joints.

You may have to move and or mod the transmission crossmember. This is probably the worst part of the job and it's bloody easy.
BTW I have huge success with this trans ! I ended up with the cast iron model and LOVE IT ! Big gas mileage difference and smooth shifting ! The only thing is I have no reverse light working because the switch on the tranny works when it wants to , other then that its amazing !
Dazzoman is offline   Reply With Quote