View Single Post
Old 10-28-2016, 06:49 AM   #2
68c10airstream

Re: 11 GMC SIerra SLE 4WD

I believe the low level and metal shavings are a dead ringer for the complaints/concerns you have. I was a ase mechanic when i switched careers in 1999 so i haven't been into the newer front differentials but a clean junkyard front diff will probably be the cheapest route to go, provided you match the gear ratio!!

The biggest problem i see across all brands of awd/4x4 is the fact or continually running a low tire pressure long enough to create a smaller diameter tire. I have personally seen this destroy positraction clutches in rear diffs, make the fluid black in the transfer case of late model AUTO 4x4 systems (not your case because your fluid is clean).

In your case i believe a fluid leak in the front diff has ruined pinion/carrier bearings and these components carry enough weight and speed for very bad vibrations.

The junkyard in my area offers to swap the front diff, including a 90 day warranty, and will repair/replace in warranty any item that gives trouble. Just a thought, as garages are $75-125 an hour and then throw in parts, that front diff gets expensive fast.
68c10airstream is offline   Reply With Quote