View Single Post
Old 11-16-2016, 03:03 AM   #1301
mosesburb
I had a V-8

Re: The Story Of A Cummins Suburban (Lots Of Pics)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyLarry View Post
Cool pics Mosesburb! Looks like you all had a great time. Interestingly enough, last time we did White Rim in 2015 it rained like crazy on us when we camped at Murphy Hogback but by the time we reached the Candlestick area 10 to 15 miles down the trail where many of the potholes reside they mostly dry as a bone but one here and there with just a small layer of water in them.

Then when we did WRT with 1leglance in 2011 it was HOT and dry. We didn’t see an ounce of rain until we started up the steep and narrow Shafer Trail towards the Visitors Center. Right after we reached the top they closed Shafer until it dried out. That was the year Mineral Bottom was washed out so we went as far as Potato Bottom then back tracked all the way back out. Basically, we came in by the Visitors Center went 7/8's of the entire WRT and back tracked out the same way. On the way out we drove about 8 hours straight through back to the visitors center. Made for a LONG hot day. Cool to see the potholes so full and so full of life in your pictures.

Along the same lines, I just barely finished up the trip report from Desert Trip 2016 last week. Only took me 4 dang months to write it up this year
I was wondering if you were gong to do a report on that trip. You are a helluva lot closer to real time than I am with the trip postings though. I was talking with Gary Wescott at SEMA and we were lamenting the same time issues with maintaining a blog/thread. The time it takes to sort the pics. The time it takes to resize and upload the pics to a host site. The time it takes to write the story. The time it takes to caption the pictures. All of that to entertain people for free. I do enjoy the posting of the travels and building/maintenance. Hopefully it will help inspire people to get out and see what is out there like Wescott's travel tales did for me (before the internet came along).

I remember the story of running WRT and having to come back out and doing that part in one day. Oof. No thanks. Great trail, but that would be a bit much. What an awesome area. You know from your experience as well that no pictures or words can even remotely come close to describing what the area is like. Every bend, turn, altitude change, or curve nets a completely different view, oftentimes looking like a completely different area 50 yards down the trail.

I'll have to check out your trip report when I have some more time here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by big dump View Post
Awesome pictures and awesome build thread. I've been through the entire build thread more than once.
Thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by big dump View Post
I'm wondering if you can share any more details on the blue suburban? What kind of drivetrain, etc.?
It was purchased as a 1970 K20 350 330hp GM crate motor/TH400/NP205/D44/Eaton HO72 four wheel drum brakes, ceiling mounted factory ac. Everything except the motor, trans and transfer case was original and worn out. Very much. I de-cammed the motor to make it more tractable for truck use, added TBI, installed a 40 gallon gas tank, changed the entire cooling system, added an aluminum radiator and electric fans, 700R4, clocked NP208, '72 style booster and brackets with new prop valve and lines, disc brake D44 with ARB locker, 14FF with ARB locker, he had some custom spring packs built along with Fox reservoir shocks for extended washboard travel in Baja, I rewired the truck from headlight to tail lights and everything in between. Added power ports throughout for nav computer, refrigerator, charging electrical devices. Auxiliary gauges installed to monitor dual batteries and vital drivetrain temperatures. Installed an Extreme Outback air compressor and tank, plumber air throughout the truck with DOT air brake line. I installed a Vintage Air unit with a factory style roof mounted rear ac unit using Barrier hose and beadlock fittings throughout the system. Engine oil cooler, large trans cooler, power steering cooler. I probably did some other stuff that I am forgetting, but that gives an idea of what went on.

Here is a thread that is about as hooptie as the truck was: Blue Suburban Thread