View Single Post
Old 11-25-2016, 11:44 PM   #180
rkn463

Re: 68 C50 Looongbed pickup build

Sorry for the slow updates folks. I guess that I got so frustrated that it kind of killed my desire to even think about the truck. OK, done belly-aching!

That brings us to Tuesday, November 8th (remember I was still on vacation…) I went hunting that morning and did not see much, it was still raining off and on. When I got back from the morning hunt I changed clothes and drove in to town to vote. This is a really small town and at around 10:00 AM I was only the 37th person to vote!

After lunch I bolted the auxiliary pump on to the hydroboost unit. I hit up the FSM for torque values for all of the bolts and torqued them accordingly.
Name:  BA.jpg
Views: 935
Size:  35.4 KB
Next up was to bolt the hydroboost unit to the firewall. I had test fit it prior to getting the auxiliary pump bolted on and it fit perfectly, that is until I bolted on the aux pump. Now it hits the firewall! I had not planned for firewall modifications, this was supposed to be a ten minute job! It was hitting on a raised portion that the steering column gasket screws down to. The raised part is probably an inch or so larger diameter on the 68 than the 89. In the first out of focus picture you can see where it was hitting and in the second photo the mark I made on the firewall for the piece that needed to come out.
Name:  BB.jpg
Views: 931
Size:  32.7 KBName:  BC.jpg
Views: 926
Size:  36.0 KB
I finally got to try out the pneumatic body saw that I bought a Northern Tool a few months back.
Name:  BD.jpg
Views: 932
Size:  35.5 KB
It worked pretty well except where things were multi-layered. After several cuts it looked like this:
Name:  BE.jpg
Views: 928
Size:  39.8 KB
To be continued…
-Richard