View Single Post
Old 11-26-2016, 01:15 AM   #188
rkn463

Re: 68 C50 Looongbed pickup build

Thursday after the morning hunt I made a small patch to fill the gap at the bottom of the patch panel and berated myself for rounding the inside corners!

Name:  ED.jpg
Views: 918
Size:  30.8 KB

I welded it in and cut the radius to match and ground down my bird-crap welds. I test fit the flange and it looked good.

Name:  EE.jpg
Views: 923
Size:  31.9 KB

I drilled some lead holes into my patch as I would be securing it with sheet metal screws. Next I pulled the column, removed the 68 style flange/gasket and replaced it with the one from the 89. I slid the column back in place slid my patch panel over the shaft and then bolted the column back in place. With everything in I shoved the flange through the hole in the patch panel to orient it properly then drilled two of the sheet metal screws in. After that I took a body hammer and formed the patch to the rest of the irregularities of the firewall adding screws as I went. When done it was skewed a bit from what I had planned but it won’t show anyway. I removed the sheet metal screws and put a thick bead of black silicone sealer on the back of the plate, screwed it back down and smoothed out the silicone.

Name:  FA.jpg
Views: 920
Size:  34.6 KB

Then I screwed the flange to the firewall/patch and painted the under-hood side black to match the firewall.

Name:  FB.jpg
Views: 912
Size:  41.7 KB

Finally, I bolted the booster back on with the patch in place and it cleared with room to spare!

Name:  FC.jpg
Views: 873
Size:  30.6 KB

-Richard