Thread: My 52 GMC Build
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2016, 10:45 PM   #1256
jkeating1

Re: My 52 GMC Build

Hey 50's--I've been looking for a discussion of the differences in the front sheetmetal on the 1 ton-and-down versus the 1.5 ton-and-up. Have you run across a thread that gets into it?

I know the fenders and hood are different, but in what ways? Other questions I have, if you or anyone else wants to weigh in, are:

I know the grille bars are spaced wider up-and-down, but is the grille width the same?

It appears the fenders drop lower below the cowl, but is that and the size of the wheel opening the only difference? Are the inner fenders longer?

Is the "web" of frame itself taller--from top to bottom of the frame rail? I mean, are normal aftermarket front IFS crossmembers out of the question for 6400 front rails?

When you use the big-truck front sheetmetal, and space the rear axle to center the fenders of a 3100 bed (with a back-half, or complete frame swap) does the wheelbase still end up 116-117"?

I like what you've done with your truck! I have a decent 2-ton available and am thinking seriously about jumping in.

John
jkeating1 is offline   Reply With Quote