View Single Post
Old 12-07-2016, 10:20 AM   #7
MikeB

Re: Throttle Body vs Carb Spacer

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer#99 View Post
That's close!!
You don't adjust the rotor exactly. You rotate the distributor body clockwise for more advance, counterclockwise for less advance.
I've worked on only one BBC, but I think it's CCW for more initial advance, CW for less, just like a small block. However, I recently worked on a 400 Pontiac, which is just the opposite, because the distributor is driven by the other side of the cam.

I agree that 12-14 degrees will probably be the sweet spot, maybe even 16. The symptoms of too much advance are:

-- pre-ignition (knocking) on acceleration, especially when engine coolant is up to temp
-- engine turns over slowly when you're trying to start it

Also, make sure there are no vacuum leaks anywhere. Check for cracked hoses, and then suck on the hoses connected to the vacuum advance canister, transmission modulator, any thermal vacuum control valves, EGR valve, etc. to make sure there is resistance. Especially important is the large hose running from the back of the carb or intake manifold to the brake booster.
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 24 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote