View Single Post
Old 12-11-2016, 11:22 PM   #4727
matthamby

Re: What did you do to your truck today? Chapter II

This is the link to the item I purchased (eBay):

12V-24V Car Vehicle Waterproof 5V 2.1A + 2.1A Dual USB Power Sockets Outlet

I had to use a "step bit", it's used to cut small holes into larger ones for conduit into electrical panels (I have used them many times) they are about $35 at Lowe's Home Improvement, make sure to get the one that is up to 1-1/8", at least that's what mine was. See if you have an electrician friend, they may have one you could use. Don't try holding a hole saw in place - it won't turn out well (for the truck or you, I have seen people try it). I have several vehicles that I want to add one of the sockets to, so the $35 wasn't a bad deal.

I took a round file to remove the barbs that remained from the bit. It was a really tight fit so it doesn't move around inside the hole, I just got it in there, I started to hook up the wires, but when I started looking at the wiring, it was quite obvious that whoever installed the radio (non factory, i don't think a dealer did it either), there was a nest of wires, a lot of them were cut and hanging loose, so I need to chase them out and see what goes where and remove wires that are not necessary. Nothing can ever be easy!

You may be able to use a small grinding wheel on a Dremel tool to make the hole larger, mark the hole needed then cut, this would also allow you to leave the sides flat so the power adapter is "keyed" into the hole.

After that you just simply connect the old cigarette wires to the back using the supplied crimp connectors.

That's about all I know that you would need. I hope it helps!

Thanks guys!