View Single Post
Old 12-13-2016, 04:54 PM   #12
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

Re: Throttle Body vs Carb Spacer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxtrot View Post
How exactly do I tell I've advanced it far enough though? I understand the physics/chemistry/thermodynamics behind the timing and such, but how do I tell where between 8* and 16* is best? Or is there no way short of a dynamometer?
How it will run will be your answer. You are going to need to find the timing line on your balancer and you will probably need to clean it off. There will be a timing tab on your chain cover that will have marks on it. Best thing to do is to look at one of the 10,000 you tube videos on setting timing.

A stock 454 will love a lot of initial timing. 18* has always been the sweet spot for me. 8* will be out of the question. Since these make all there power down low, you want that timing coming in fairly quickly. I would guess 14*-18* will be nice and snappy on the throttle. As you advance, your idle speed will certainly come up and you trim that down with your throttle position (idle) screw on the carburetor.

Having properly set timing can be one of the most incredible wake-ups to a motor......especially if someone last set it with the old Chilton's recommended 6*-8* or so.
prostreetC-10 is offline   Reply With Quote