View Single Post
Old 12-18-2016, 07:51 PM   #242
dmjlambert

Re: Where/How did you find your Truck ?

I’ve been inspired to get some sort of classic vehicle for years. I was particularly impressed when visiting Rockport Texas on vacation. Outside of a local pizza joint there was a beautiful old Dodge truck, probably from about 1970. Weathered 2x8 boards were propped up to act as a tailgate and a Ram emblem was nailed to it, although I’m sure the truck was made years before Dodge dreamed up the Ram label. Body panels, doors, hood, fenders, and various other parts were all different colors from being pieced together from many trucks. PVC pipes were bolted to the front bumper, sticking straight up to act as fishing rod holders for trips to the beach. I’m sure bubblegum and bailing wire was in the mix somewhere. I remember thinking man if I had a couple thousand bucks I would wait for the owner to come back to the truck and make an outrageous offer.

Fast forward to a couple years ago, I was telling a friend that I want an old truck and I asked him to keep an eye out for something that may interest me. He lives out in the country and has lots of contact with country folks who may have something laying around. I told him my only requirements were that it be old, not 80’s-old but I mean 50’s- or 60’s-old, and have the original paint job and not be missing any pieces. Within a week or two, he called me and said he has my truck. I asked what do you mean, and he says remember Ron’s place where we go fishing in his ponds, he had an old 1969 Chevy truck he asked to have hauled off. It has been an eyesore in his back field, sinking more and more into the mud as the years go by.

In exchange for some labor and favors, he hauled it off of Ron’s property. I went to look at it, and it appeared pretty much the same as in my profile picture, except dirtier. It had plates from 1985 on it. I am the second owner and I have the original owner manual and bill of sale from the now-defunct dealership. Now, after spending too much money on engine and transmission rebuild, here I am driving the thing. I like it a lot.

It has the original dealer rear bumper. I grew up in Texas, and I believe near 100% of trucks sold in Texas at the time were shipped from the factory with no bumper and the dealers had bumpers made from local manufacturers and stamped with the dealer name and city. That is how I remember things. My bumper is stamped Doran Chev. Inc. Dallas, Texas, and in smaller letters it is stamped D&D Bumperworks, Inc, Seguin, Texas. The trucks shipped from the factory with a license plate holder and license plate light mounted to the frame underneath the truck, and my truck still has it there.

I could have ended up with a Ford or Dodge, but didn’t. I’m glad I ended up here with you guys and gals. You have helped a lot with my education.

Last edited by dmjlambert; 12-18-2016 at 07:59 PM.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote