View Single Post
Old 12-22-2016, 12:32 PM   #18
e015475

Re: 49 GMC Five Window

A little more progress to report-

The rear shocks came in. I bought KYB gasadjust shocks with about a 5" stroke.

I'll mount them at about a 30 degree angle. This whole shock-airbag thing is kind of a crap-shoot. All the airbag sites out there seem to be pimping shocks for airbags, but I can't seem to put my finger on just what is different on a airbag shock versus a regular shock.

These are gas charged and were originally designed for a Dodge Durango

My younger brother is a first-class welder and a pretty talented fabricator. I wanted some nice welds for the brackets for the rear suspension (and for him to hide my fit-up sins) so I loaded the chassis on the car trailer and drove to his place in southern Arizona.

He backed my trailer and chassis into his shop fired up his Millermatic. Major shop envy here - note the wood stove in the shop that kept the temp at 72F (he lives at 6000' or so - too cold for a Phoenix guy)

His knees still bend and he knows what he's doing with a welder - he's burning in the Jag rear suspension mounts-

[IMG][/IMG]

I modified some upper shock mounts I got from Suicide Doors (think they call themselves Thorbros now) and he burned them in.

I trailered the chassis back to Wyatt's shop in Mesa and unloaded it there. Next step will be putting the cab on the chassis and doing the final prime and fit of the fenders, hood and doors.

A bit of a aw-sh*t moment when I unloaded it from the trailer and saw that the header collector just kisses the bottom of the hydroboost unit. Looks like I need to tilt the engine down another half degree to get the headers to clear, and it looks like I'll have to wrap about 4" of the collector and fab a heat shield.
e015475 is offline   Reply With Quote