View Single Post
Old 12-23-2016, 12:54 PM   #217
rkn463

Re: 68 C50 Looongbed pickup build

A month or so back I mentioned that the two speed axle wiring was badly frayed; here is a picture of the part that I had to cut off to get back to wire with decent insulation. (This is the half that goes to the switch on the shifter)

Name:  wiring5.jpg
Views: 825
Size:  25.7 KB

I also needed to come up with a way to connect the two parts of the wiring together, the half from the shifter connected to the part going to the rear via a terminal block on the 89 model. You can see a picture of the terminal block back in post number 37. It also requires a 20-amp circuit with a breaker so I had some pondering to do. I found an open, switched terminal on the fuse block (unfused I believe) so I decided that I would add a fuse block under the hood to run the 2 speed axle along with any auxiliary lights or other add-ons that I dream up.

Name:  wiring1.jpg
Views: 823
Size:  39.5 KB

The plan is to use the switched circuit from the fuse box to energize a 100-amp relay that will pass through an 80-amp circuit breaker to feed the auxiliary fuse block. Apparently the 80-amp breaker I ordered from Amazon is coming direct from China because it’s status shows shipped and “Arriving Jan 11, 2017 - Jan 30, 2017”. Oh well, I don’t have a fender installed to mount it to right now anyway.

Name:  wiring4.jpg
Views: 764
Size:  39.5 KB

I thought that I would be able to use the factory 20-amp breaker in the fuse block since it just plugs in to a standard blade style fuse slot.

Name:  wiring3.jpg
Views: 823
Size:  104.9 KB

Unfortunately, the fuse block that I bought is made to have the fuses recessed into the block and therefore the larger circuit breaker will not fit. So, for the axle control I will just fall back to the old traditional style breaker.

Name:  wiring2.jpg
Views: 825
Size:  54.3 KB

I picked up some ring terminals and heat shrink tubing the other day, now I need to get out there and finish the repair work on the wires and figure out where the fuse block needs to land.

-Richard