View Single Post
Old 12-23-2016, 11:19 PM   #22
e015475

Re: 49 GMC Five Window

The cab went on the chassis today. This should be the final time before paint.

Put the driveshaft in. Mounted a running board to show ground clearance.

Iowaboy - still on the fence on what to do with the interior. I had the seat done before we decided on a paint color. I was told I exceeded my authority in the color and style, so I sold them on Craigslist (I wasn't that impressed with the quality either)

I'm back to considering using the factory frame and an all foam seat and backrest.

For a steering wheel, I picked on up from a 59 Cadillac and planned to paint it the same color as the truck. Here's what I have-

Here's what one looks like when finished (It is in a Cadillac, but you get the idea)

I modified the Cadillac steering column to fit the truck and put a column saver at the bottom.

The Cadillac steering wheel was pretty cracked when I got it. I filled all the cracks with epoxy and sanded it down, then put a couple of coats of feather-fill on it- it is still waiting for a final sand. I don't know if I'll ever be able to make it look acceptable. It is another 'science project' and my hands are full trying to get the body to paint.

Another science project is the gauges. My transmission doesn't have a mechanical output for the speedometer, so my preference is aftermarket gauges. I had a CAD file made of a new gauge face and then had them laser etched into plastic sign material. I used a Speedhut speedometer and peeled off the gaugeface and needle and installed it in the GM housing.

Here's the tach and the speedometer together-

I backlit them with a LED RGB and a dimmer. Here's the blue one-

For fuel, oil pressure, water temp and voltage, I'd planned on mounting some miniature gauges in the lower part of the dash by putting them in cans drilled into the lower dropdown at the bottom of the dash.

I'm really nervous about cutting the dash for the additional gauges, and I'll probably just buy some Dakota Digital's gauges and be done with it.

So I'm pretty much all over the map on what to do with the interior. The only thing I'm certain about is that I'm going to paint the interior the body color.
e015475 is offline   Reply With Quote