Thread: C30 Stake beds
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2016, 01:45 AM   #1
1966C30Stakebed

C30 Stake beds

First off, thanks for the site and message board I am sure to learn tons of info. I recently purchased a 1966 C30 Stake Bed with what looks like a 283 and an MS420 tranny. I spun the wheels and counted the rotation on the line and it turned 2.5 times so I seem to have the 5.14 gears if you do the math. Not a positraction unit. I am so sad. So the man I bought the truck from says the engine is a GM 300 V8. I researched it and found that GM did make the engine, but I have not checked the numbers on the engine. It has a two barrel, and the previous owner said the firing order is different than the standard 18436572 and have not verified what the order is on the engine. So I have some work to do. She has 16-inch wheels duals and she is screaming at 50 mph. I will put on a tach soon. But she drives like a new truck. The previous owner put all new front end parts, brakes, carb, transmission and some other items that cost him over $6k in labor and parts. Man, she runs great. Two pumps on the gas pedal and pull the choke and is running before she cranks. LOL She ran out of power going up a hill so I will need to check the vacuum advance for proper movement. But as slow as she goes, it's real fun to drive. Heater works great on our -20 degree days out here in western Nebraska in the sand hills of Sioux county. So I can't wait to hear back from some old timers about the engine, and I can't wait to find out more. Oh, the 5.14 rear end will be for sale as I want to drive 65. So I might swap out for a 1970 3.73 positraction if I can find a center unit. I have found an HO52 with 4.11 and that might work just fine. Attached is my 1927 Doctors coupe I want to haul on her back. To see a short video of my new truck, go to: https://www.facebook.com/MichaelJame...34963493409886

Thanks and I look forward to hearing from all of you.
Attached Images

1966C30Stakebed is offline   Reply With Quote