View Single Post
Old 01-09-2017, 08:49 PM   #1867
Vic1947

Re: Crusty Rusty Leaky Squeaky 67 Step

Quote:
Originally Posted by knomadd View Post
Nice work with the bumper! I'm glad you're going this route. I've been wanting to do this, but have been afraid of the amount of work involved and the chrome cost. You're making me rethink it.
Well, the work's not too bad... more thinking than doing up to this point. I did talk to the chrome shop today and they assured me they could tidy up any imperfections. I asked him about using lead to fix any contours, low spots, etc. and he stated NO! quite emphatically. They use silver braze for their fixes. No idea about the cost, but I'll post that info when I find out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
Sadly, Chip won't be going. Combo of Family and a big project at work got me. Hoping to come down for the Swap, since the Chill is no more. Good excuse to drink beer with my friend and see my old truck again.

Nice work, Vic! I'm hoping to see a splitter/air dam on the bumper leading to a vacuum effect tunnel under the truck and a diffuser at the rear. Lip angles automatically adjusted based on speed input from the ECU. This is gonna be killer!
Thx, Chip. We won't be going to Starbird-Devlin either since Dan's truck didn't make it into the show. We'll go to one in the spring instead. Told him by PM to keep me posted when he shows it later on. As for the ECU controlled splitter :emoticon with raised middle finger:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
Sure glad this hasn't gotten out of hand!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot949 View Post
LOL Chip...
You guys are killin' me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsanborn View Post
The custom bumper is going to be cool!
Thanks, John, hopefully I don't hit the wall midway thru this.

Today I got more of the welding done and started filing some of the welds. The silicon bronze works pretty easily and I like using files instead of the grinder for this kind of thing. It's much more controllable and you have less chance of removing material other than the weld itself. I use three files for the most part. A heavy crosscut meant for aluminum, but works equally well on SB, a medium flat 80 and a flat smooth for finishing. I'll lightly dress the surfaces with a blending disc as the last step.
Attached Images

Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote