View Single Post
Old 01-10-2017, 04:27 PM   #4
snj8198

Re: new grinder a hair raising experience

I pulled the motor inspection cover off. The sander does use a three prong plug and the green wire is grounded to the motor housing. Other than that there is no other grounding system being used. The sander has rubber feet and the 3 belt rollers are all plastic. I'm not sure where to go with this. Grounding each knife to the sander body doesn't seem practical but something has to give. There is an adjustable metal backing plate behind the belt where I contact the belt with a knife. If I touch that metal backer with the knife tip after every single pass there is a very light little shock discharge. But if I try to avoid contacting the knife to metal for 6 or so passes then touch it the static build up is enough to darn right hurt.

I read online that a guy can run ground wires from the ground post on the motor body to the drive rollers to collect the static build up but the model has plastic rollers.