View Single Post
Old 01-11-2017, 02:50 PM   #64
rtinniste

Re: Wtf did i get myself into 51 s10 swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 to Life View Post
sheetmetal is some tedious stuff, but once learned it will make you a better welder and fab guy. Make sure you let it cool and dont get it too hot. Your upper firewall patch you made is alot of weld. So in areas like that just weld an inch on one end then jump over to the other end. Watch the heat stains in the metal. A piece that large is very easy to warp. Same goes for when you knock the weld down for finishing. don't let it get too hot, as your metal will thinner and hotter when you grind it down. Thus making those pinholes harder to fix. Overall you are doing good with what you have shown.
Thanks guys appreciate the positive feedback definitely have alot to learn doing sheetmetal all I have to go off of is what I read online and learning from my mistakes. That's why I started with the firewall before moving into the cab corners and shaving the passenger cowl vent.

As for keeping the heat out of the panel. I tacked all 4 corners, then the center, then overlapping tack welds for about a inch off the original tacks in a star pattern (like tightening lugs) until I had every tack overlapping.

I really should of just filled each hole or at least make the patch panel slightly bigger because the double rows of weld was so I can have something to blend into. Which in the end turned out to bite me in the ass when it came time to grind everything down.

I ended up using my die grinder with a cutoff wheel then blend with the angle die grinder with a roloc on that panel. Not happy with how it turned out but did learn a lesson about being lazy.....

Currently I'm on the fence about cutting that entire section out and and replacing it.
rtinniste is offline   Reply With Quote