View Single Post
Old 01-24-2017, 10:37 PM   #241
rkn463

Re: 68 C50 Looongbed pickup build

Update from last weekend:
I really wanted to bolt the front sheet metal back on and rig the too big radiator in and drive it. However... I still needed to deal with the park brake first. And even bigger deal, if the weather would permit I needed to work on my fencing project between my neighbor and myself. Well, the weather was good Saturday so I worked on the fence most of the day. Around 4:30 a squall blew in and ran me off of that. So I stopped for the day, washed off the poison ivy and had supper after that I attacked the park brake.

The 68 had the park brake bolted directly to the transmission, sticking up to the right of the shifter. The 89 was under the dash next to the driver side kick panel and was cable operated. My original plan was to adapt the trans mounted brake lever but when I compared the throw the 68 moved the linkage less than an inch where the 89 was about an inch and a half. Rather than re-engineer the whole mess I decided to just reuse the whole 89 brake lever and mount it in the 68. The lever used three bolts, one aimed forward through the firewall and two bolted to the floorboard on the wheel hump. The height of the mount points meant that I needed to make it taller or have it too close to the floor. The two bolts that hold it to the floor were welded to the bracket so I not-so-delicately removed them, you can see in these pictures with one stuck back through the hole and the second with them gone.

Name:  aaa.jpg
Views: 722
Size:  22.9 KBName:  bbb.jpg
Views: 737
Size:  36.1 KB

I figured out the height, drilled a hole in the firewall and screwed the assembly to the firewall. To hold it level I stuck a bolt through one of the holes while I measured for the new ears. Finally I cut off the old ears and added my home made pieces. The welds weren't perfect but are getting better.

Name:  ccc.jpg
Views: 724
Size:  37.2 KBName:  ddd.jpg
Views: 726
Size:  32.8 KB

One last picture of the assembly installed.

Name:  eee.jpg
Views: 740
Size:  50.9 KB

more to come...

-Richard