View Single Post
Old 02-07-2017, 11:15 AM   #9
Coley

Re: gm crate engine question

To my recollection, the 290hp engine is not recommended for towing or heavier vehicles (ie: trucks).
It is cammed and built for something lighter that would need to get the revs up before you see power. As a result when guys dropped them in 4000lb trucks (like ours) many were pretty disappointed.
Unfortunately a lot of buyers still only look for the hp number when selecting a motor whereas the torque and the rpm it comes in at, at least for trucks, is the better number for most performance in my books.
Whether most people know it, admit it....or not, the lower rpm range is where you will be doing 90% of your driving so having your power/torque down there, rather than it appearing suddenly at 4500-5000rpm....will probably be what you want but only you know your driving habits.
If you want the best of both worlds, get the 195/250hp version, run it for 6 months to make sure it is a good motor with no warranty issues. Then, put a correct cam in it and perhaps upgrade the heads a little bit and you will have a tight motor with more torque and hp....and more importantly, where you need it. Talk to cam experts before you choose the cam tho'.
The fact that the warranty will be null and void ...shouldn't be too much to worry about....certainly not when you can pick these up for very little money.
My two bits.
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote