View Single Post
Old 02-09-2017, 10:40 PM   #1
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

What's the trick for pulling a park brake assembly?

71 C-10

Cable retainers are removed and the cable is free. Just need to pull the studs on the assembly through the firewall. The unit is essentially wedged between the firewall and dashboard. I removed three bolts on the LH side of the dash panel, which helps, but it's not easy. I can pull the dash panel more, but I'd sure hate to bend or break something.

If the rod for the release handle could be removed then great. But it's riveted on, I don't want to cut it, and I'd have to monkey rig it on to re-assemble.

In other terms, preference is to do it right without damaging stuff like the dash panel and a great dash pad (gulp!).

Edit: If the best way is to remove the dash pad or something else I'm in. It's all coming apart anyway, though hadn't figured to remove the dash panel at all. I was planning to remove the pad last, because I hear it's a beatch.

I may be better off pulling the e-brake near last. Though all that's left are the fuse box, ignition switch, wiper assembly, dash pad, gas tank, front/rear windows and some minor details...........Then I'm ready to build a cab cart - finally.

Thanks for any input.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring the truck from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details, OEM identifications & part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images of assm., illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 02-09-2017 at 11:00 PM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote