View Single Post
Old 02-22-2017, 12:54 PM   #22
davepl

Re: Why all the hype about horse power and torque?

We have two groups of people talking past one another.

One group wants it to start, run, idle, and behave "like a Camry", because it was perfectly capable of doing it when new. They don't want any of the nonsense that comes from stripping away cold-start and some emissions features.

The other group thinks that nonsense is perfectly normal and "whatsamatta with you" that you don't want to two-foot it when it's cold, that's what real men do. And, I'm told, some vehicles start already warmed up (never cold start so don't worry about it), which is handy I guess. Or maybe they just never turn them off.

All I know is I've got a bone-stock 650hp car that runs a 2.9 second 0-60 and it starts and idles and behaves well cold. Any slower vehicles therefore should as well. No excuse. But if you like them rough and nonsensical, it's your truck, do what you like!

Then again I run catalytic converters on my 69 Camaro because I don't like the smell of unburned fuel, so I'm a little pickier than most about drivability, noise, vibration, and harshness issues. But I've had my share of old open-element, electric choke, no heat-riser nonsense in my past.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote