View Single Post
Old 02-23-2017, 08:00 AM   #35
James the III

Re: Why all the hype about horse power and torque?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 View Post
I feel I definitely lost power with the Edelbrock. It had a perfectly good Rochester. I still have it. I had never serviced a carb. before and needed a choke very soon. The mechanic talked me into the Edelbrock. He said he's not a fan of Rochester, but more than that I bet he just didn't want to deal with it. Since then I've discovered you can add an electric choke onto a Rochester. I don't know if that would require the heat stove & pipe, but I'm guessing not.
Yup most likely didn't want to deal with it as he can't make any money..
the time it take him to rebuild it, and it still have a vacuum leak at the throttle shaft that he didn't fix would make a customer mad..

bonus is the part mark up on the new 300.00 carb.. the shop got for 30 minutes of work..

In and out and most customers will not care as long as it stars and runs correctly..

If he is an older guy he also had had to deal with the plugs in the base leaking and having to fix, and all the other issues that would take time to fix before he sent it out the door with his name on the work..

better for him to pop on a new carb and call it good..

Same reason shops don't rebuild starters,alt,water pumps, ect they make more just replacing them..
James the III is offline   Reply With Quote