View Single Post
Old 03-02-2017, 11:18 AM   #36
Nomadicflyer

Re: 72 C20 Miss Olive

No kidding, when I saw how much those repro's were, I figured I could put a few hours into the ones I had!

Points for the part ID! It took me some time thumbing through the build book to find it. I painted it the same color as the wheel tubs. Now everything but the engine is clean under the hood! Haha! Give the wife a year or two enjoying the new wrappings before I tear it all off the frame and go after the frame and drive line. My learning curve will be much less with that project.

Today I fix the hood, pull the fenders back off and do some engine work. Replace exhaust seals, heater box, speedo cable and such. New shocks, flex brake lines, etc. Then comes the wiring harness.

Question: I have a donut exhaust seal that keeps blowing out on me. I thought the nuts were backing out, because they would be missing, so I put in some bolts with safety wire. The bolts stayed put, but the exhaust seal still blew out. Is there any other reason for that to happen beyond an alignment issue between the headers and the Y pipe? My next step was to cut off the flange and put a new one on, with a fresh alignment.

Thanks!