View Single Post
Old 03-14-2017, 09:31 AM   #117
BILT4ME

Re: gm crate engine question

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILT4ME View Post
My son got the engine pulled today in his 70 GMC K2500. We will tear it down today/tonight to see if it's worth rebuilding or to pull the trigger on this engine. Do you think I can still convince them of the better deal?

Also, someone else mentioned that they had them throw in a harmonic balancer and something else for a few more $$. Anything else I should consider getting through them?

Total, how many days from placement of the order did it land on your doorstep for each of you? I realize you're across the country on on, but what about others?
Got it torn down last night. Turns out the crank has already been turned 0.030", The one main we took off has heavy bearing wear and a few fingernail-catching lines in the crank journal, but still 0.004" clearance on both rod and main bearings.

One cylinder has a score in it that COULD be from water sitting in it for 30 years, but I'm not sure. There is also a possibility it is a crack.

The lifters are worn to flat, so the rebuild that it has is still a high mileage rebuild. In order to get it back in shape will require lots of machining and some new parts.

Looks like we're going to be calling for a Crate engine!

What do I need to make sure I ask for and what extras should I consider having THEM provide?
Harmonic Balancer
Water Pump
???

Planning on a Weiand intake and a Holley carb. Probably a replacement HEI distributor (not a performance one)