View Single Post
Old 03-14-2017, 04:43 PM   #120
BILT4ME

Re: gm crate engine question

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILT4ME View Post
Got it torn down last night. Turns out the crank has already been turned 0.030", The one main we took off has heavy bearing wear and a few fingernail-catching lines in the crank journal, but still 0.004" clearance on both rod and main bearings.

One cylinder has a score in it that COULD be from water sitting in it for 30 years, but I'm not sure. There is also a possibility it is a crack.

The lifters are worn to flat, so the rebuild that it has is still a high mileage rebuild. In order to get it back in shape will require lots of machining and some new parts.

Looks like we're going to be calling for a Crate engine!

What do I need to make sure I ask for and what extras should I consider having THEM provide?
Harmonic Balancer
Water Pump
???

Planning on a Weiand intake and a Holley carb. Probably a replacement HEI distributor (not a performance one)
The order has been placed!

I checked locally, and they could even come close, then put sales tax on top of it, and it was about $450 more locally than they can deliver to my door.

My total was $1414.99. Just a few left at that price. Looks like it's going up about $5 soon. It did come with a $25 gift card though.......

I'll update when we get it. I asked and he confirmed that all the holes are correctly drilled and tapped accordingly. fingers crossed.......

There is another eBay dealership that is trying to compete, but their reputation is not as good as Radley. I chose to pay a few bucks more for a better reputation and a couple days longer ship time, rather than take a change on one out of Texas with a lower reputation number and questionable communication skills.

Radley, on the other hand, was excellent to deal with. JoJo at the parts counter (540-898-0055) was VERY responsive and called me back multiple times to make sure information was correct and we were getting the order processed correctly. (I had a credit card issue that didn't want to purchase something that expensive online) Thus far, the experience has been great!

I'm having it shipped into my work warehouse so it's easier to deal with.