View Single Post
Old 03-19-2017, 05:40 AM   #2675
Grizz1963

Re: Grizz's Redneck Express 1966 Chevy Short Fleetside RESTO-GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by realvc View Post
Looking like James Bond in the fancy duds.

Those wheels are pretty cool. You are personalizing your new ride in the "Grizz" way.
Thanks Vince.

I am trying to keep it cheap and cheerful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palf70Step View Post
That red really pops on those wheels. That little box on wheels is looking real good Rian!
Makes me happy Bill, and that is probably the most important thing.

Take two.......

Not what I like to do when the iPad deletes a long winded write up just as I want to post it, especially after another bad night not sleeping.

So yesterday I took advantage of Eurocarparts' "Up to 55% St Patric's Day Discount" to buy the rear brake parts I needed, shoes and wheel cylinders. I decided to replace the lot, rather than just one side which some people would do. The passenger side shoes and wheel cylinder are fine, so if someone needs them, collection and a cuppa tea.

Back to the discount, so despite these mostly being predetermined and not really affecting profitability of companies, the counter price for the parts was £79.88 or something like that, while the click and collect price is £54.88 so technically I saved some money, and of course when I got there, the wrong parts had been picked..... oooopps.

What I got for my money.

I had been lubricating the brake line nuts and bleed nipples for a week, as they are known to be a problem.

When I tried to undo them with my normal tools, it became clear that I was headed for a heart ache.
So I popped around to my neighbour a few houses down to see if he had advice, he is a mechanic. Spent 90 minutes chatting to him while he finished off some work and then he grabbed a few tools and came around, open ring spanner, vice grips and not very long......

This lot was ready to be replaced with new parts.

All 6'7" of him crouched in front of the job. I did help a bit.

Copper grease going in everywhere appropriate so next time could be a bit easier.

I had also had to remove the centre console to release the handbrake cables so that I could get them off the rear brake shoes.
This was a good thing as I managed to set it right after my test drive once everything was reassembled.

While I was under the car, I tried to offer up the Corsa Combo towbar I got given, but it was not going to fit.

I noticed the spare wheel condition and decided to replace it with the spare, spare that Laurence had given me when I bought the car.

After cleaning, washing and then prep n prime, I gave it a few coats of satin black and refitted it under the car.

With much light under the car, it became apparent that the bias valve return spring was rusted off and needed replacing as it is an MOT fail if not correctly in place.
So it seems I will be spending another £22.00 on a spring as well.
But it needs to be done.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Citroen-Be...wAAOSwepJXWmtn

Ebay ad for the very overpriced bias valve return spring

Once I had reassembled the wheels, put away my tools etc, I took the car for a drive up to the farm and bedded in the brakes as well as using the handbrake repeatedly to stop or slow down the car.

When I got back home I readjusted the handbrake some more and refitted the centre console etc.

The brakes are now really great and I feel confident to use the car fully in any traffic.

It still makes me smile and as I said to a mate who asked if I would sell it, the. Reply was a definite yes, and I would replace it with another the same.

I really like the simple lines of the Mk1 model, and specifically the Multispace with its rear door that creates such a great overhang.

Lastly, a photo I took yesterday of one of the alloys just put in place on the hub.

I like it and am certainly looking forward to getting the tyres switched over.

Not as far out as it seems.
Grizz1963 is offline   Reply With Quote