View Single Post
Old 03-22-2017, 01:02 PM   #52
indymachinist

Re: 68 shortbed stepside stripper truck build

Ok so I have taken a bit of lunch break time to gather a few pictures....

Lets start with one of the truck as it is pretty much going to look when finished.

Now the rear end

New brake mount flanges at the end of the axles, and center section welded to axle tubes. I weld, but I don't weld that nice. It is good to have friends available to help you where needed.

I am a CNC machinist/programmer so I have access to solid modeling software that helps greatly when you are trying to assemble parts and you really only want to do it once. I often measure and draw everything up so I can look at it on the screen before making it. This is an assembly of the end of the axle tube with the axle, brake backing plate, and a wheel speed setup I am custom making so I can have traction control on a 68 truck.

Rear brakes are starting to come together. I haven't got the wheel speed setup done yet.

This is the start of putting a trigger wheel on the passenger side axle for the wheel speed sensor.

Mark Williams billet diff caps to help stop the diff from being spit out the back of the housing. I am also going to use a braced Moser cover with the cap bolts.

Now for a little of the Eaton diff build.... take brand new Eaton posi

Tear that all down. Keep this, get rid of the rest.

Get hardened spider gears and steel clutches to replace stock parts.

R.E.M. polish that stuff because it was ugly.

Put diff back together.

Now on to the fuel system...

Start coming up with a plan.... do a lot of drawing again.

Buy some materials from McMaster

Boom. Cut that stuff all up.

Cut bigger hole in Boyd tank, test fit parts.

Get the aluminum parts anodized and final assemble.

Now here is the engine. The $200 4.8L bomb.

This thing has 213k miles on it. It is not going to get rebuilt. New bearings, rings, rod bolts, etc are NOT in its future. I will put an LS6 cam in it, a new set of lifters and new timing chain, and an oil pump. That is all. 800 whp from this? Maybe. We will see.

My 1968 Chevy shortbed stepside build
indymachinist is offline   Reply With Quote