Thread: Timing Vortec
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2017, 10:49 PM   #20
1966chevyc20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdav160 View Post
I am curious how you are using your timing light. Does the statement above mean you are setting the dial to 10 and moving your distributor to line up the mark to the tab?

And you set the timing to get the engine to run and check the timing by turning the dial it's extremely high?

And it idles at 800 rpm?

It a "crate" engine but who is it from? GM or just a rebuilder?

I'd put a vacuum gauge on it, set the base timing to get 18-20 of vacuum and then check to see home much timing it takes. Maybe the camshaft is mis-timed or perhaps you have a vacuum leak. Bad carb?
Yes the statement I made earlier means I set the light to 10 degrees advance on my timing light and turn the distributor to line up the marks. When I set it to 10 degrees advance on the light it barely runs. When I time it by ear where it sounds good, the initial timings way too high. It idles pretty well around 800 rpm when timed by ear and not the light. The crate engine is direct from GM through Karl Performance Parts. The carb should be good as it is a brand new Edelbrock 1405.
Also, when I try to time it the mark on the balancer jumps around. I also hear an intermittent popping sound in the exhaust. I believe I might have a misfire. I have triple checked that I have spark at each sparkplug and my sparkplug wires are in the right order on the cap and run to the right cylinder. I am stumped as to what could be causing the popping sound and why I can't get it timed. I'm only 16 and this is my first engine swap so I lack experience. Any suggestions as to what to look for that may be wrong??
Posted via Mobile Device
1966chevyc20 is offline   Reply With Quote