View Single Post
Old 04-11-2017, 10:28 PM   #2339
georgieb51

Re: Post Your Craigslist Finds

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimer1964 View Post
I like it! My brother talked to the guy said 15k or best offer said it had 72 axles. Probably 2 wheel drive nicely up graded!
This truck taught me a lesson. I had struck a deal to buy this truck for 14k. The fellow was knowledgeable and helpful. He just asked that I send a deposit check asap and that I first email a copy of the check. I am in NY and he is in MD so this was a bit of a long distance deal. After I closed the deal and wrote the check I asked for a photo of the SPID, the VIN plate, and the Title. He sent them to me and I found the VIN agrees with the title, and the vin is for a 1968 truck too, but the vin has a C number, not a K-- and the SPID has been removed from a very clean glovebox door. So from what I can tell this is a 1968 2 wheel drive body, with a 1968 VIN on a 71-72 frame. At least I can see the edge of one of the disc brakes (driver side) from one of the front photos. I was all ready to send the deposit check, got the cash all ready, drove 100 miles but on the way to Maryland decided to cancel the deal and I turned around on I-81. I just decided that the truck did not have the integrity I was looking for. I did not read all that had been written about this truck in this forum first. I do not think the fellow is scamming in particular, but I found it was up to me to ask to see the title and VIN and have the knowledge that a C is not a 4x4. To me the integrity of a truck has a monetary value, and this did not have that integrity. The truck may be worth 14 k to someone who does not care. I still find the truck attractive. I appreciate the wealth of knowledge on this site. Thanks.
1967 Chevy K10 Short Stepside, unrestored original.
1969 GMC CST (Longhorn) 396, buckets, unrestored.
1995 GMC K2500, 65,000 miles, 454.