View Single Post
Old 04-18-2017, 11:39 PM   #80
theastronaut

Re: 1963 VW Convertible Build

Still don't have this thing finished. I'm waiting on the cylinder heads still, they ended up being a mess and needing way more work than expected. The brakes are adjusted and bled, gas tank has been flushed/detailed/installed, radio is in, and a lot of the small/time consuming details are finished. I need to add some sound deadening and padding under the floor mats, finish covering one front seat, do a four wheel alignment, and finish building the engine once the hesdscare done.

I finally located a rear backrest, it arrived and I covered/installed it on Saturday.

The original distributors were cast iron, painted black, with a brown Bakelite cap. I wanted to run a modern distributor for reliability and the adjustable advance curve but the polished billet housing and grey cap looked out of place. I dug through our leftover SEM dye and found a color that was close and tinted it for a fairly close match. I also light sandblasted the cap for better adhesion and to give it a slightly textured surface to match the original caps better. The body of the distributor was shot with satin black.

theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote