View Single Post
Old 04-26-2017, 10:30 PM   #137
kehstr

Re: 1972 gmc 2wd highlander with original paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
Nice work on your truck. That little stuff eats up more time and money than the big stuff.

On a fuel filler... I'm in the same boat as you. I originally was going to do the behind the tail light filler. This might work good for you. More room for a nozzle, and it shouldn't get scratched up as bad as say a side marker filler. I was going to do the stake pocket too, but I really hate the idea of spilling fuel all the way down the side of the bed or taking the chance hitting the bed with the nozzle. i'm all but tired of filling the tank in my bed now so I've been trying to come up with options. I'm almost about ready to put a fill door from a square body in it, or find another original aluminum door and put in in the bed side in front of the marker light. I still might try the tail light fill, but if I ever put my in bed camper in this truck, I don't know if I could fill it then.
Yeah, if only there was a simple option to a fuel filler, but there is just not. From the pictures I have seen about tail light fillers, the gas nozzle will rub on the trim for the rear tail light, which seems better than the paint, but still not perfect. maybe I will just have to take what people have done and try to modify it to not rub.
If any of you have pictures of a tail light fill and the nozzle does not rub, or pictures of how to do a stake pocket fill, and keep the cab down enough that I can still have my stake pocket for a tie down point, please post them up!

Check out my Youtube channel
@Chad's Fab
kehstr is offline   Reply With Quote