View Single Post
Old 05-05-2017, 06:32 AM   #30
elpound

Re: Reo retro tow truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13jraven View Post
Sorry for the bring up an old post, but got any specs on it?

What axles you running? Transfer case? You keep the stock motor and trans and do a divorced case or swap something else in.

The truck is sitting up pretty good. What springs are on it to clear what looks to be ~37" tires?

I got two 1 ton trucks in the shop getting converted to 4x4 and diesel swaps. A 59 Chevy Viking and 49 REO Speedwagon

I have been doing the REO pretty much on the cheap side. I was lucky enough to have a friend who had an old WW2 deuce and a half CCKW. The axles and transfer case are from it. They are the GM banjo style. I kept the original REO flathead 6 cylinder and transmission since it runs well. I only plan on driving it locally so speed won't be much of a issue. The front springs are from the CCKW as well. Everything pretty much bolted right in for those. Since the truck was a 2 1/2 ton, the wheel wells were large and the axle no longer had the drop like the original, I didn't need any sort of lift for the 40-41 inch tires except for the back to get it level with the front.
elpound is offline   Reply With Quote