View Single Post
Old 05-09-2017, 07:02 AM   #25
LT7A

Re: Olds 350 vs Chevy 350?

This is one of those posts where I don't have anything but anecdotes to add -- so feel free to pass on by, ha. The thread intrigued me since I've owned a '71 Cutlass S with a 350 since 1986. I also have a 455 on stand, waiting to be rebuilt. My folks have their 1970 Cutlass 350 they've owned since new. My dad went through a 1981 Toronado 5.7 diesel, so we got to experience that awesomeness too, haha. I don't think I would swap an Olds 350 into a truck just because. But if it was an Olds based diesel previously and needed a new motor I would do a 350 or 455 in a second. Definitely will pay a lot more for hi-performance parts though than you would for a Chevy SB/BB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BossHogg69 View Post
Joe was a straight up guru and super nice guy to boot - he was always wiling to share his years of knowledge and experience. I first met him in 2004 at the PRI show.
I bought a bunch of stuff from Mondello Performance back in the early aughts and talked to a helpful guy named Lynn. Last summer at the NHRA Northwest Nationals I saw a bunch of folks with Mondello shirts and asked them if they had a booth. They said no but to come by their motorhome and say hi. So when the races were over for the day I went by and talked to Lynn Welfringer for awhile. He was Joe Mondello's business partner. Joe is gone now but Lynn still sells a ton of parts and complete motors. His daughter works with him and they get out to do quite a bit of racing. I have family a couple hours from their shop and he said to come see him and get the tour if I can. I never talked to Joe, but Lynn is a cool guy. Very personable and knowledgeable.

Last edited by LT7A; 05-09-2017 at 07:18 AM.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote