View Single Post
Old 05-16-2017, 05:27 PM   #311
ibrown50

Re: Ian's Tennessee Honey '64 Short Box Step-side - England

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh1965 View Post
Well done , you'll enjoy riding it this summer. But it'll make progress on the truck slow down and I am speaking from experience
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65sub View Post
Nice bike. Looks like fun
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizz1963 View Post
Just Lovely Ian.

Congrats.
Thank you gentlemen,

You know those 10 minute jobs, the ones that turn out to be not quite the 10 minute job you thought, well I've just finished one.

A while back I bought a pair of Jeep Cherokee check links to replace the ones that came with the truck (yes honestly this was the passenger side check link)

Name:  Check link original.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  67.4 KB

I got them on eBay with nuts and roll pins for about $15 including shipping, a bargain I thought,

Name:  Check link.jpg
Views: 432
Size:  50.1 KB

Having my newly painted door with nothing stopping it opening to the point of destruction was not ideal, I had 10 minutes spare so I thought "I know I'll fit the check link".

I soon hit a bit of a problem was the original screws were seized solid, I could have taken them out before the door was painted or actually hung and adjusted (Like any sensible person might have done) but oh no.

Name:  check link screws.jpg
Views: 447
Size:  19.2 KB

I tried releasing oil, a long bar and even cutting a slot in one to see if a straight bit would grip better than a pozi all to no avail. There was no room to drill and I didn't want to take the door off so I broke out the die grinder and a ball end carbide burr ( a risky strategy with a freshly painted door) and ground the middles of the screws out.

Name:  check link burr.jpg
Views: 436
Size:  78.8 KB

Any way about an hour and a half later my 10 minute job was complete, It really is unbelievable how well these work, you would swear they were OE

Name:  Check link finished.jpg
Views: 445
Size:  22.0 KB