View Single Post
Old 05-22-2017, 03:53 PM   #313
ibrown50

Re: Ian's Tennessee Honey '64 Short Box Step-side - England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizz1963 View Post
What a lovely piece in the passenger door.....

The Cherokee units seem to be the perfect replacement. And thy can be adjusted to suit.
Thanks Rian, I agree they look factory

I have decided to clear off the un-finished jobs list before doing the driver’s side cab repairs. These jobs include rebuilding the rear brakes then finishing up the brake lines and bleeding the system, they also include getting a choke cable on the carb, running the engine up properly, doing the timing etc. and filling the trans after its rebuild.

Another job to do is the panhard bar. You may remember from a while back in this thread I discovered that my truck has a ’65 rear axle, I realised this only after I had ordered a 64 panhard bar from POL. Because of length and bracket position I couldn’t use either a 64 or 65 bar.

Name:  panhard bar 2.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  49.7 KB

So when life gives you lemons and all that…..

If I have to shorten the bar I have a number of options, I could simply cut and weld, I could make it adjustable at both ends or by using a LH thread rod end and weld insert I could make it adjustable without removing it (it will work like a turnbuckle). This seemed the best option. I ordered a forged LH thread rod end from Speedway, and a LH thread weld bung from a local rally car supplier which even has flats milled onto it for easy adjustment.

Name:  panhard bar 3.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  46.5 KB

These pictures show how much it had be shortened, one advantage of making it fully adjustable is that your measurements can be +/- about a ¼” and you’ll be fine.

Name:  panhard bar 0.jpg
Views: 422
Size:  78.9 KB

Name:  panhard bar 4.jpg
Views: 414
Size:  43.3 KB

Last edited by ibrown50; 05-22-2017 at 04:05 PM.
ibrown50 is offline   Reply With Quote