View Single Post
Old 05-22-2017, 04:03 PM   #314
ibrown50

Re: Ian's Tennessee Honey '64 Short Box Step-side - England

This is a suspension piece so a good prep is important to get effective weld penetration,

Name:  panhard bar 5.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  35.8 KB

A good trick when tacking things like this is to lay the job in a piece of angle bar while tacking up it helps keep things aligned and means you don't have to earth the job..

Name:  panhard bar 6.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  72.6 KB

I got in real tight and used plenty of heat to get good penetration, I’ve no way of rotating the bar while welding so I ended up doing 4 separate runs doing opposite sides to reduce distortion, I got a good strong weld but boy was it ugly. I dressed it back carefully on a grinding wheel and then dipped it in some gold paint just to stop the bare metal rusting (yes, I know the match is awful but I’ll find something that matches better another time)

Name:  panhard bar 7.jpg
Views: 384
Size:  45.4 KB

I ended the day by trying it “for a fit”. I will need to ensure I can set it level once the truck is built up so I‘ll probably drill another couple of pairs of holes in it so I can adjust the height if needed, I’m not sure whether to weld or bolt the chassis bracket in place (any suggestions?), but that’s a job for another day

Name:  panhard bar 8.jpg
Views: 389
Size:  86.5 KB

Name:  panhard bar 9.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  84.9 KB