Thread: 3/4 ton axles
View Single Post
Old 05-26-2017, 01:06 PM   #9
Short 3/4

Re: 3/4 ton axles

[quote=Short 3/4;7952435]
Quote:
Originally Posted by '63GENIII View Post
Captainfab hits the nail on the head again. Its a lot of work. I would say considerably more than using what you already have.

Not saying that it can't be done or done well but there are hundreds of well intentioned guys out there that go this route only to ruin 2 vehicles.

Ive personally a cab / bed swapped truck with the intention of "making it right" only to realize that I didn't have the time, money or on point fab skills necessary to complete it in a timeframe that would allow me to actually safely drive it someday.

Heck, even with all the planning that I did with the '63s spring swap, it still spent the better part of 3 mos in the garage torn apart.
I am also doing a 1/2 to 3/4 ton swap on a K10 (65) Not sure of your dream, but if you are looking for disk brakes, a better gear ratio and more common parts, the only difference between a 1/2 and 3/4 ton dana 44 is from the spindle out .Much info on the forum on a disk brake swap using early 70's parts. find a corperate or Dana 60/70 rear with a ratio that you like and all you have to do is have the mounting pads moved (cheap to have done). Then change the front R&P to match (cheap and common for this diff). If you don't like the closed knukle front end find one from the 70's and it will pretty much bolt in ( I think closed is cool but I'm strange that way ). You will be back on the road a lot sooner and cheaper and your truck will look stock, not hacked. To up grade the springs , go to a local spring shop and they can modify any way you want. Good luck, will be a nice truck when done.
Sorry I didn't post post correctly ( I'm better with a hammer than a computer) Mine is at the end of 63's post
Short 3/4 is offline   Reply With Quote