View Single Post
Old 05-27-2017, 09:31 AM   #44
e015475

Re: 49 GMC Five Window

First attempt at a door panel off of the winch powered bead roller-

Another view

Need to put the screw holes in before the bead work for the next iteration. (kind of a 'well duh' moment when they fit before I bead rolled them then didn't afterwards) Panel still hits the raised area around the window winder so I'll have to try the next die size up. Bought a microstop and a 82 deg countersink cutter to make the screw holes as perfect as I can. Standby for next door panel attempt.
Disassembled the hood again, sanded, painted, color sanded and buffed. Put back together with new stainless fasteners.

Installed the hood and the front sheet metal around the radiator support for what I hope is the last time before painting. Damn there's a lot of fasteners in this front end - ordered 75 and am still about 10 short.

Another view

Have to repaint the rear fenders anyway, so I asked Wyatt to remove the rivets that hold the brace to the fender and fill the holes in. Here they are gas welded shut

Wyatt planishing the weld and straightening a little distortion from welding.

The brace for the fender was retained by plug welding an extension that was peanut welded to the edge of the fender lip. Not cleaned up yet here, but you get the idea.

Ready for primer

Final block sanding of the MarK bed is next week and we should be ready after that to roll it to a paint booth. Probably a day in the booth for the cab, which will be painted assembled, and another day for all the bed parts.

Au revoir
e015475 is offline   Reply With Quote