View Single Post
Old 06-06-2017, 10:38 AM   #9
Lugnutz65

Re: Please help on loose 63 steering column

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72farmer View Post
Wobble,I believe the bearing/bushing that I need will go in the top of the tube in your 2nd pic the one where you can see your hand.Please help I have been searching the net all night with no luck.TIA!
The bushing in the photo below only provides support to the lower edge of the shift collar. The assembly consists of a metal ring and a plastic bushing. The plastic bushing provides a small amount of support beneath the shift collar so the shift collar doesn't piston (when properly adjusted).

In the photo you can see the outer column sleeve and the inner shifter tube. The actual steering shaft doesn't come in contact with the pieces in the photo because it lives inside the shifter tube.

In principle, the shift collar support bushing doesn't control wobble of the steering shaft.

Steering shaft wobble is controlled by the upper and lower shaft bearings. If either the upper or lower bearing is bad, then the steering shaft will wobble, especially if the upper bearing is bad, or if the upper bearing has slipped out of place somehow.

If you are missing the bushing or adjustment ring in the photo below, I doubt they are reproduced. You could maybe find one from a donor who plans to replace their column with a more modern version. However, I doubt replacing it will solve the wobble. I would look more carefully at the condition and adjustment of the upper shaft bearing to find the solution.
Attached Images

Want to know more about T5 transmissions? My website has a T5 Info Page and a Step by Step T5 rebuild.
Lugnutz65 is offline   Reply With Quote