View Single Post
Old 06-12-2017, 06:27 PM   #162
burnitg

Re: Project Screamer - '72 GMC K2500 + DD 4-53T

Another DIY project...

Space is getting tight under the hood of the old GMC. As always, I work down in size starting with the big things and working down to the small ones. The next two big things are the air filter and the batteries.

I decided that I would use two starting batteries. Detroit Diesels do not have any glow plugs or intake heaters and they MUST use single viscosity SAE 40 oil, so I will need some serious battery power to start on cold days. I have installed a block heater so I can get it going from home on cold days; but, that won't help if it has been sitting all day in a parking lot on a cold day.

I spent several hours on the air filter manufacturers' websites looking for an OEM filter that would meet my air flow and space needs. Everything that I found was too big in at least one dimension. So, I decided to make my own air filter housing. Because I was able to fit it in a relatively small space, I could use the stock battery tray and a stock auxiliary battery tray to mount the two batteries.

I found a rectangular K&N filter that would flow enough air and patterned the housing off of it. It is the same filter used in my '99 F-250 Powerstroke so I know it will flow enough air and I love parts interchangeability.

Here's the cardboard template for the base:

Name:  Air filter housing cardboard template.jpg
Views: 1008
Size:  82.8 KB

Here are the sides in steel:

Name:  Air filter housing sides.jpg
Views: 1017
Size:  66.3 KB

Here's the top view with the filter:

Name:  Air filter housing with filter.jpg
Views: 1009
Size:  77.9 KB

Here's the auxiliary battery tray modified and installed:

Name:  Auxiliary battery tray.jpg
Views: 1019
Size:  77.5 KB

I'll post more photos in the following post.
burnitg is offline   Reply With Quote