View Single Post
Old 06-16-2017, 12:45 AM   #9
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Re: A/C condenser and dust boot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstOwner69 View Post
My truck had the boots too. I don't think I ever noticed them for probably 10 years and never figured out what purpose they served. They were always just kind of "hanging out". They are gone now and I don't miss them.

Mine never had any shims.

Did I mention that I'm not going to tear mine apart to document the original hardware. I will take a look though.

EDIT: OK I just looked. There are no shims and there are 4 bolts with captured washers (probably 3/4" long by 5/16") just like those used for the inner fenders and many other places. Mine have the heads to the front, not like the assembly manual shows. That's the way they were originally (see picture below from pre-teardown). My hardware is 100% original.

And... a picture where one of the "boots" is visible on the tube coming out of the condenser below the receiver drier.... ignore the transmission cooler).
Ha ha ha! @ bolded. Well, can't beat that with a stick. Shims & boot are worthless, mount bolts for a "finished" look. Judging by my 72, the condenser is mounted just like yours.

Thanks for the responses.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring the truck from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details, OEM identifications & part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images of assm., illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote