Thread: HEI swap
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2002, 08:30 AM   #2
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

To keep info on HEI in an easy to find spot I'm adding this info posted by members regarding HEI.

bigjimzlll: I bought a proform HEI..its a hi performance..higher volt coil..better advance curve..low saturation module..they cost about a 150.00 ..thats a brand new bolt in set up...its a simple install...just run a #10 wire from the unfused ignition terminal on your on your fuse block to the HEI..do away with the resistor and wire from your starter to the old distributor..and new plug wires.

Fast68Chevy: any HEi distributor on any chevy V8 without the extra 4 pin flat wiring plug will work, make sure it has the vacuum advance diapragm on it(not ESC controlled in some of the 81-up vehicles such as camaros firebirds pickups, etc) caprices and impalas and such didnt have that stuff tht Ive ever seen.

Run new feed wire form instrument panel fromt he ign unfused port, and use inline fuse, and do away with the old white wire that goes to + on the coil and also do away with the yellow wire thjat goes to + on coil and goes from there to R on the starter solenoid.

Project1970: Everyone else already got it as far as the install (just in case - you need new wires, of course) but as for what to expect when you get it done...well, when I did mine...I got a better idle, easier starts, and - the best part, and I've got numbers to back them both up! - a boost of nearly 20hp (191 to 208) and 2 miles per gallon (from 7.7 to 9.7!!) - and I still haven't regapped the plugs for HEI. I'll probably pick up a little more all around once I widen the gap to .045 or so.

------------------
1969 C20 4x4 with roughly 6" lift and 35's
residing near Rose Hill, Kansas

Yukon Jack's Web Pages