View Single Post
Old 06-21-2017, 08:48 AM   #316
ibrown50

Re: Ian's Tennessee Honey '64 Short Box Step-side - England

Well I've had a busy couple of weeks, I have changed jobs and now have a 2 hour commute to work (each way) so I am having to get used to that. I've also had a load of other stuff, including giving a friend mum her first ever pillion ride on a motorcycle, as part of her 80th birthday celebrations!!

Anyway I decided to bolt the panhard bracket to the frame rather than weld it, so made a simple plate to attach the upright brackets to,

Name:  Panhard plate.jpg
Views: 382
Size:  43.3 KB

I also drilled a couple of extra holes in the mounting bracket to give me some adjustment and allow me to compensate for any drop in ride height once the bed is back on.

At the point the bracket attaches the frame runs up a little creating a gap this means the 2 “legs” on the bracket have to be different lengths in order to remain vertical.

Name:  Panhard bracket gap.jpg
Views: 378
Size:  45.3 KB

It's always tricky measuring gaps like this, I use one of these,

Name:  Bore gauge.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  94.9 KB

This one is metric but you can buy them in inches too. I bought a few of these when I was last in Japan, this is the last one, removed from its wrapper specially for the occasion. Although intended as a bore gauge they are great for gaps too. Each increment on this one is 1/10 of a millimetre which is 4 thou so they are incredibly accurate.

Before tacking you have to make sure the legs are vertical, square to each other and parallel. This really is one of those occasions where having 6 arms would be great

Name:  bracket tools.jpg
Views: 379
Size:  48.1 KB

Name:  Panhard bracket1.jpg
Views: 388
Size:  43.6 KB