View Single Post
Old 06-21-2017, 01:21 PM   #11
mrein3

Re: 454 + TH400 + 4.11 POSI = no freeway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phorbes View Post
snip

Long story short, I took the truck home (on the freeway) and I could barely make myself go above 60MPH because the motor was SCREAMING!

I know it's not damaging anything, just burning fuel. I want this truck to be cruiser, to help pick up supplies at home depot and haul the dogs around in. Not a show truck or a drag racing truck, just a good all around usable truck.

snip
Don't be so sure you aren't damaging anything. I'm running a temporary engine right now. A very used 307 that is powering its third vehicle while I deal with a self inflicted issue in my 383.

A few weeks ago I took it to the MN State Fair Grounds to meet da-burb who sells new and used truck parts. (I purchased a repop long bed bedside that except for the little angle iron piece welded to the front of the rear stake pocket that I had go move up fit like a glove and looks awesome).

I debated with myself over whether I should take the freeway (70mph for 20 minutes or so) or stick to the back roads. I ended up on the freeway. Turbo 350, stock height tires, 3.73s, 3500 rpms on the tach. I monitored engine temp, tranny temp, and oil pressure all the way down. As the oil heated up the pressure slowly lowered but it stayed above the 1/4 mark - where the tired 350 that shared the same gauge lived.

I get off the freeway, rpms down to in-town levels. OIL PRESSURE BOTTOMS OUT!!! Long story short I think I wiped a lobe on the cam.

I would address the freeway rpms or just avoid it altogether. Those 4.11s with that super low 700r4 first gear might be fun off the line.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote