View Single Post
Old 06-27-2017, 07:20 PM   #10
Marine-58

Re: What turbo would go great with a straight six?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69_C10_292 View Post
I have a 1969 chevy c10 with a 292 engine and a 4 speed muncie. I want to put a turbo in it. I'm still in high school about to enter senior year and i just want a truck that's fast to beat those chevy vortec engines and those hondas. I wanted to know what type of turbos are good for this like a cummins or a gt35 idk tbh. i also wanted to know what internals i need to upgrade to support this mod and what type of manifold would would go good for this and the type of carburetor. i would like the horsepower to to be greater than that of a 350. Any Suggestions?
Is this possible, with enough money and expertise, sure it can be done. Think about what you need to do. 2010 Honda Civic curb weight = 2800lbs Your truck roughly 3700lbs. power to weight ratio assuming 300hp for each - Honda - 9.33 lbs per hp, Truck - 12.33 lbs per hp. You would need 400 hp to match the Honda weight ratio. Then think about suspension. Too much to write about in order to try and get a vehicle weighing roughly 900 lbs more with a higher center of gravity to handle the same. Not to even go into the drag coefficient calculations. These are very cool trucks but are not exactly wind tunnel designed.

We won't even go into what it would take for brakes/tires to make it safe at the speeds you may be talking about. Then there is driving ability/experience. Wheeling around a small car v. a top heavy truck that was designed to haul weight and corners like a dishrag, they are entirely different skill sets. (Apologies to everyone who has made all the suspension and handling improvements. Just trying to outline the hurdles.)

I'm just and old fat guy with not nearly as much experience as most of the others on this forum. Built a few hotrods and helped many friends with theirs. Strictly my opinion but girls are way more impressed with something that looks cool, is comfortable to ride in and has a good stereo. For the amount of money it would take to make your truck super fast, you could do a lot of paint/body work/customization and make this one really unique and sweet ride. Something you would want to keep for a lifetime.

69 Corvette convertible 454/650
Marine-58 is offline   Reply With Quote