View Single Post
Old 07-20-2017, 08:23 PM   #63
indymachinist

Re: 68 shortbed stepside stripper truck build

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie91 View Post
What's the latest on this build?
Its still underway. I havent had a lot of time to do any updates here but I have been taking pictures along the way. (Pictures are time consuming to load from a phone)

The suspension work is nearing completion. I hope I never have to cut/grind/drill/hammer another rivet in my life!! I am sticking with a quite "stock style" suspension. No air bags, drop members, rack and pinion swaps or that kind of thing. Too much money, and I am not into slammed trucks. I just like a nice low functional look. So where the suspension stands now:

-stock front upper and lower control arms
-Brothers front shock relocators
-all new Moog tie rods, ball joints, idler arm, pitman arm, cross shafts, etc etc
-CPP 2" drop front modular drop spindles
-stock rear trailing arms stitch welded top and bottom
-flipped stock trailing arm mounts
-Hotchkiss swivel joints to replace stock rubber trailing arm bushings
-Hotchkiss front and rear sway bars
-Hotchkiss 2" front and 6" rear springs
-No Limit rear shock relocators
-No Limit adjustable panhard bar

This pile of parts is all ready to be coated and installed.

Here are the old rubber bushings vs the Hotchkiss swivel joints

Flipping the trailing arm mounts underway

The rear end is all cleaned/assembled. Here is a test fit of putting some of the suspension together:

This is some of getting the rear wheel speed sensor set up for the traction control system. Had to do pretty much the same thing on a front wheel as well.

Custom designed/made bracket to hold a 2001 Tahoe ABS sensor

Here is a test fit on the housing with the axle

And here is the same thing but with the inner drum style parking brake and backing plate mocked up

The Boyd fuel tank is finished and powder coated. The dual Bosch 044 hanger is finished and assembled. The tank needs put under the truck and needs plumbed and wired. I also still need to finish up the behind the marker hidden fuel filler I started forever ago.

I don't think I commented on it much here but I was not wanting to hard mount the fabricated aluminum gas tank to the frame rails. My thoughts were similar to a hard mounted radiator, I expected it would crack. So instead of doing that I got rubber grommets from McMaster car. (a great place to get racecar building supplies!) The rubber grommets press into oversize holes I drilled in the flange of the tank and they have a sleeve in them I made so they can tighten down without smashing the rubber. The end result is a tank with a small amount of "float" to prevent cracking.

You can kind of see it here

With the help of this board (thank you clinebarger!) and multiple others I bought an unknown condition 1993 4L80E transmission and completely rebuild/upgraded it. It now has all new high enegry clutches, all new Delco electronics and solenoids, upgraded input shaft and forward drum, and a Circle D multi disc torque converter.

The before and after pictures don't look much different. That is partially by design as I had no interest in painting the housing. I have a TON more pictures of this but they are pretty borning trans internal shots without anything special going on.

Before:

After:

My 1968 Chevy shortbed stepside build
indymachinist is offline   Reply With Quote