View Single Post
Old 07-30-2017, 10:10 PM   #29
jeffahart

Re: Finishing Bed Wood with oil: Does it last, Let's just see

Been a bit over a year since the bed wood install with tung oil, and 9 months since the last oiling.

Spent ten minutes applying oil this afternoon. But I did spend a little extra time touching up the strips and tail gate to repair scraped off and scratched paint this morning before oiling. What the wood has been through since last oiling. Lots of leaves from trees it was parked under a lot of the time during fall and winter. Caused a lot of black from rotted leaves, but it cleaned up on hose down. The biggest damage I did to the wood was hauling railroad ties. The creosote soaked old ties left black scrapes along the wood from being shoved in and dragged out of the bed. Scraped up some bed strips and the tailgate. I scrubbed the crap out of the bed the week after I hauled the ties with a stiff scrub brush and simple green; and the black marks came out. I was really surprised. Anyhow, I have not babied the wood, it gets no special treatment.
The wood is getting an orange like patina. Looks real good. I slathered on some oil using a green scotch brite and a heavy hand to bring up as much amplitude as the scotch brite will enable. I did not wipe the bed wood down with a cloth after the application. I set it in the sun and forgot about it. All good... the easy button... it's why I went with oil.

The oil in the pic below is wet, it is a pic after fresh application.

Will update again on the next oil treatment.

Name:  20170730_150804.jpg
Views: 1876
Size:  49.3 KB